Occupy Iowa City
General Assembly (GA)
October 31, 2011
Safety: Ant has issued his two weeks notice. He will not be a full-time occupant of College Green but will continue to help out. Amanda proposed Ant list his duties so we can all pitch in. Presented a write-up of camp rules and regulations of when those rules are broken.
Food/ Water: We've been getting steady donations. Allison encourages people to help with food and maintance of areas.
Outreach: Stephany talked to Unitarian Church about using space a few times a week.
Action: Bank Transfer day on the 5th of November. Action will coordinate a list of volunteers that will post outside of large banks and hand out fliers of the banks bad dealings on society.
Culture/Education: Exposed Fiction band at Gilbert Street Piano Lounge from 7-8:30pm. Spoken Word event next week. Food/Education teach in Thursday at 3pm
Exploratory: Will meet at City Hall at 5:30 to discuss the appeal of our permit. Discussed five points that Tom and Steve will discuss with the panel. Tom proposes we reach consensus on each of the five discrepencies.
1. We cannot use two quadrants of the park. There was some confusion as to the wording of this part. Misty proposed that we need to ask the city a) who will enforce the rule? b) How will they distinguish between the occupiers and non-occupiers. This passed.
2. No structure of any kind shall be built on the green. If they allow us to build a structure, someone will have to sign for liability. After diiberation, Victoria proposed we ask the council what we can have to keep us warm. This passed.
3. Tents that sleep more than six people are not allowed. Stephen proposed that we push for the artic tent. This passed.
4. No tents are allowed in the North and West quadrant. Tom proposed that we not touch this. This passed.
5. Our permit cannot be renewed. Stephen proposed we ask the council to add a clause saying we can renew the permit.
Sustainability: will need to find storage space for tents, blankets, clothing and food before the weather turns cold and wet. Carolyn offered Summit House as a possible option.
Occupy Richmond was bulldozed yesterday.
Occupy Harlem has just started.
Occupy Cedar Rapids has begun as well.
Occupy Dubuque is having a rally in conjunction with the tea party.
-Proposal to suspend GA for Tuesday in order to allow attendance at the meeting at City Hall. We will need some to stay back to safe keep our camp. This proposal passed.
*No Violence (1 Strike)
*No Drinking (2 Strikes)
*No Drugs (2 Strikes)
*No Disruptive Behavior (GA)
If people are evicted they will be able to appeal to the GA and if a 90% consensus is reached they will be allowed back. This passed.
-Charles would like the GA to approve the funds ($50) to purchase a propane heater. This was withdrawn.
-Charles would like to continue to meet with the ACLU before the meeting at City Hall.
*It was approved that the exploratory committee meet with the ACLU to help with the appeal.
-Open forum at the University for occupiers to talk and reach out to students; Wednesday November 9th from 7-9pm, more details to follow. Talk with Misty.
1.The tents must be numbered and contact info provided. This passed.
2. Everyone occupying must be on a committee. Other occupations have already established this rule. This passed.
3. Should have 24/7 Peacekeepers on duty. This includes having a record. The end of every GA will be devoted to securing volunteers to work the next day's shifts. This passed.
-Eva on behalf of the action called for volunteers to assist the bank day action on Thursday and Friday. Contact the action committee to sign up.
-November 2nd protest against occupy-related violence around the country
-Document hanging on notice board suggests we should devote less time to logistics for community members attending our GA